Changes with my body with this pregnancy have been the scariest thing to me. I know baby is going to wake me up every 2 hours, I’m going to have a hard time getting an hour of sleep, let a long a 30minute HITT workout in. Yet I’m still determined that I will get by body back to where it was, pre-pregnancy. I’m not someone who shows off their body but I was taking some pictures when I was at my fittest (not my thinnest) but the body I liked to rock out at the gym at a solid 135-140 lbs. Not my skinny fat body of 128lbs. Looking back at the pictures, I’m pretty sad that I didn’t appreciate my body and all it did for me until I saw it starting to add lbs because of my pregnancy (I won’t even get on the scale right now, although I know I’m not huge, I feel a the difference and don’t want to give myself any harder of a time then I already am). Pregnancy was always something amazing and beautiful to me when I would watch other people go through it. I think pregnant people are glowing and beautiful yet I can’t seem to feel that way about myself (at all), but that isn’t anything new (as I just recognized) as looking back at my pictures of my pretty rocking body, I wasn’t satisfied.
God is giving me the opportunity to appreciate my body for what it can do, yet I kept punishing myself instead of giving myself credit. I knew it could play basketball and recover from ACL surgery and return pounding the pavement years later, to run a marathon (and several races/and training before that!). I knew I could kick ass in 5k’s and lift with better form then the “meat head” boys at my gym. I knew that my flexibility was pretty amazing and my fellow yogis would complement me on being a “natural” yet I wasn’t satisfied. I really did have endurance, strength and flexibility, yet still I didn’t give myself credit, I just always felt I could be better. It is OK to not be satisfied but you should appreciate your body, and give yourself credit for your hard work. I mean I did lose about 40 lbs a few years ago and kept it off until this new little journey.
Now God is telling me, you did all that, now watch what an amazing natural thing your body is MEANT to do. I need to view this as another marathon. The training is about the same, because I can tell (energy wise) my body is working and working hard to make my little nudger a happy healthy baby and just like in training I need to excersize and eat well to keep my son and myself healthy. It also is going to take a decent amount of time for my body and my son (Evan) to be where he needs to be on D day (training for a marathon, is like a job and so is growing a baby!). Even further related is the recovery after a marathon (just as important as the training) and the back to running after brief break. Really, that is how I’m viewing this experience. Training, marathon day, recovery & getting back on the horse, the harder and more dedicated you are now, in training, the easier the next steps are because your body is ready. Sure, getting back my body will take some time, but I have to give myself credit for where I am now. I need to be proud of where I am and accept the compliments that my belly is getting bigger, because THAT IS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED to do, and I am going to keep doing what I’m doing because most of my pre-prego pants still fit (well they don’t button of course, haha) and just keep reminding myself when I want extra chocolate that I don’t need it. Evan is perfectly happy with what I eat, and to those who tell me “Oh go ahead, have a burger, some fries and a cookie” I’ll tell you what… you GO AHEAD and HAVE A BURGER, I’ll have a salad beast (www.fitnessista.com) instead, thanks. After all, my baby eats what I eat, and he should become a fan of healthy eating because pre-pregnancy, pregnancy and (will be) post-pregnancy – what I have in my house is healthy eats (and dark chocolate blueberry/acai berries from Costco). Not to mention, I plan to breast feed AND make home-made baby food.
So today, I’m taking my second love (Hector the Hubby is my first) Oso (god I love my dog) for a walk/jog combo and some at home weights, followed by some healthy eats that I plan to share, along with my pre-prego bod, my current prego bod and hopefully a review on my new Pilates DVD (realistically that may come later).
The Future: <3
So today is beautiful in the sunny city of Chicago. A bit cold, but nothing an extra layer won’t fix. But today was one of those days I got up early, ate an egg puff, hung out with the hubby and decided a needed a nap (all before 9 a.m.) I’d like to blame it on the baby, lol but I think this is just one of those “its Saturday you can start your day, whenever you want, days” - Anywho, I’m getting it started and thought I’d check in with you guys to 1) see how you are doing 2) see what you are up to today and 3) give you some of my thoughts for the week.
So how are you? What are you up to today?
My thoughts of the week start here:
1) Baby: He is (yes it is a he! I realized I never posted my gender reveal cupcake OPENED!) pretty active these days! We saw the doctor Monday, who said everything is awesome! We are now 22 weeks a long, little Evan and I. He keeps his kicks pretty much for my feeling only, a hand on the belly is like “Ok! Time to stop moving!” in his eyes… & I’m totally serious (ask my less then thrilled with this, husband).
2) Life: My life is great right now! Staying positive, getting in some fitness and preparing for life after baby fitness (which I know I have 18 weeks until baby comes and then several weeks after that until I can jump into something, but hey this is what I do!). Any suggestions? I’m thinking Zumba, Insanity (after I get some endurance back), bodyrock, and general at home weight training (Oh and LOTS and LOTS of walking with my nugget in is lil stroller!).
I’m also trying to blog more, I found a blogger I LOVE! (www.fitnessista.com) and I would really like to adopt some of her ideas! So I’m thinking I need a new blog platform that has better access for readers (so you don’t have to be a tumblr user to respond) what do you think? any suggestions here? They will be MUCH appreciated, also does any one know if I can transfer blogs from here to another site?
Further, I’m working on embracing this new prego body! I have struggled the last several weeks with my changing body. Some people love the changes of pregnancy, and I WISH I was one of those people! But I am going to work on getting there, really, I am. But right now I feel like my body isn’t my body. It is totally Evans world. I’m worrying about strechmarks (which if they come, should be viewed as awesome battle scars, really I’m trying), excess weight gain (even though I’m around 12-14 lbs extra which is totally normal), and not feeling attractive (this is totally in my head as I’m lucky no ache, swelling or any pain or weirdness) although I really think my butt, boobs and thighs are totally thicker. I’m still in pre-prego clothes (using the bella band and the hair tie loop jean trick) but they are becoming uncomfortable (those damn metal hooks on pretty work pants are not comfy against skin!) so I think it is time to bite the bullet on some maternity pants….
3) Food: This week food has been awesome! Lots of salads, egg puffs (yum!), peanut butter and banana, and some fun smoothies! What are your top eats this week?
4) MY PUPPY! Well, he is 2. haha but today we are going to get in some quality Jen & Oso time kinda like this:
Can’t wait to hear from you guys! Happy Saturday!
Hey, hey! Hope your day is wonderful. Just a couple quick things: One. I miss my hardcore workouts more than ever. I’m totally bummed about it, because my energy level doesn’t let me rock it out like I used to. HOWEVER, that doesn’t stop me for making arrangements for post baby workout plans! Because I want to be that hot, “Oh my goodness, you just had a baby?!” Momma, I plan on staying pretty fit this pregnancy and not adding too much unnecessary weight my goal is no more than 30lbs.
So I’ve already hinted to my sister that I want to borrow Insanity or maybe do it with her! This would most likely to start in like September, because you need to be in some sort of shape to start that program, it is not for beginners, not that I am one but I want to make sure to prevent injuries. I’ve also looked into Zumba (looks fun!) for just after baby and the bodyrock website to get back into shape after baby. For now, I’m sticking to cardio at the gym, weight training and my prenatal yoga and pilates DVDs.
Two. Food. I’ve always been a food junkie, but I thought I’d introduce some more food to my site! Healthy and the not so healthy (everything is OK in moderation, I just tend to like the healthy stuff anyway, so it is typically win/win) – So I thought I’d end with a festive skinny smoothie option (which I’ll be trying out at home this weekend… or maybe tonight haha)
PREVENTION SKINNY SHAMROCK SMOOTHIE
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 10 MINUTES SERVINGS: 2
1 c baby spinach
½ c frozen Kefir or low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
½ banana, chopped
½ c honeydew chunks
½ c fresh orange or tangerine juice
¼ c fresh mint leaves + sprigs for garnish
COMBINE all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Pour into 2 glasses. Garnish each with a mint sprig if desired.
NUTRITION (per serving) 143 calories, 4 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 1 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 60 mg sodium -
This week was a weird one. My emotions have sorta been up and down. One minute I feel like superwoman (tons of energy ready to take on major tasks) and then 30 seconds later I want to hit the sack. It is really so not like me. My couch has been a good friend, that never happens. I’m a busy person and like to be out and about but this week I was just not myself, so weird.
- Food this week has been great though. I bought a huge spring/baby spinach mix at Costco that lasted all week for my lunch salads. They were awesome, red bell peppers eggs or chicken for protein, 1/4 avocado and some pasteurized feta cheese with some light Greek vinaigrette dressing. I made my famous (well Martha’s favorite, see below) walnut crusted chicken and Hector treated me to spaghetti and meatballs… Yum! Eggs have been a staple this week, like most weeks because they just are so versatile and easy. I also started doing my protein shakes again which make me super happy and sugary satisfied. I even ate sweet potatoes last night, which used to be a fav fav until I got all prego and stuff and they were on the “no, get that the hell away from me list”…
- Fitness this week - Has been pretty normal, made it to the gym, did my weight training and even had touches of soreness which I don’t mind at all! I’m starting my prenatal yoga practice this weekend, I’m going to try to make it a morning ritual and just get up 45 minutes earlier. I miss my practice and the peace it gave me, and with my new found energy I should be able to Jump right back in… Are you keeping up routines?
- Baby stuff!! - Yeah I can’t help but write about this little thing squirming around (right now as I write this, I felt a nudge!!!). I have been spending so much time researching, reviewing and thinking about baby stuff that I couldn’t even tell you what I’ve learned. A wonderful co-worker gave me a few books on baby food making (of course I’m cooking for my lil bean) and I’m pretty stoked to just review them. I also got “What to Expect the First Year” and may treat myself to a breastfeeding book on my Kindle this weekend. It has been fun getting the gear and next week we find out if we are Team Pink or Blue and then the nursery stuff can get kicked into a higher gear! <3 - Amazon has been my go-to place… and I really suggest checking out MyHabit.com I ordered this JJ Cole Bundle me in the dark brown to match our Java Peg Perego Stroller/Car Seat.
- Today we are making it a out and about day to enjoy this weird Chicago Feb. weather… Then coming home and getting our purge on… Like seriously just getting rid of stuff (books, magazines and old clothes) So until later today… <3
Yesterday after taking a 75 minute Hot Power Fusion class at CorePower yoga, I was in Shavasana and was thinking to myself how perfect that moment was. I thought about all the good in my life. There is SO MUCH of it. I have FANSTASTIC friends, who really are also my family, I have a wonderful fiance and an all around healthy happy life.
Friday I had dinner with a pair of friends that I love dearly. It was the easiest most wonderful conversations, we had an amazing time. I thought to myself then, this is what life is all about, friendship and love (& an awesome Mexican dish and glass (or two) of wine).
I love that yoga can help me focus on the positive. I try to tell all my friends they must do it too… So yesterday I get a call and am asked to go to a morning yoga class with a few of my closest friends. I OF COURSE say yes!! I get up this morning and get ready for yoga. Yoga mat, yoga mat towel, change of clothes, water bottle, the works… I’m ready. My friends come to my house and are not dressed for yoga. They come upstairs and hand me a card.
They are sending my fiancée and I on a scavenger hunt. Really? Life really doesn’t get much better than this. <3
Happy Sunday!! Pictures and my journey to follow <3